- North Carolina
- U.S. Supreme Court
- North Carolina Central University School of Law, J.D.
- Old Dominion University, B.S.
Jose Coker is Senior Counsel, specializing in civil litigation, public housing, corporate, administrative, and healthcare law. As a member of the firm’s litigation team, he represents clients in federal and state courts in a wide spectrum of cases. Mr. Coker has defended clients in investigations brought by the Department of Justice, in addition to other federal and state regulatory agencies. He has considerable experience representing corporate clients in complex civil litigation, and assists clients in issues involving discovery, information law, records management and litigation readiness solutions.
Mr. Coker has a strong record of successfully defending cases for clients and assist clients to avoid the courtroom through early resolution. He has also been recognized for his pro bono work and service to the local community.
Successfully defended DaimlerChrysler Corporation in a breach of warranty lawsuit in Joyce v. DaimlerChrysler Corporation, et al. The trial court rendered judgment against DaimlerChrysler Corporation which was reversed by the North Carolina Court of Appeals
Successfully defended the City of Fayetteville, North Carolina in a wrongful death lawsuit involving multiple defendants and claims arising from an automobile collision with a structure in the City of Fayetteville, resulting in summary judgment in favor of the City in Kennedy v. City of Fayetteville, et al. The North Carolina Court of Appeals affirmed the trial court’s judgment in favor of the City of Fayetteville
Successfully defended a mental health provider in the seminal case Carrieing Home Health Care, Inc. v. N.C. Department of Health and Human Services, which established, among other things, the obligation of North Carolina Department of Justice to defend local management entities.
North Carolina counsel to global automobile manufacturers
Counsel to North Carolina Public Housing Authorities
Counsel to North Carolina Local Management Entities
Represents property owners in zoning and planning matters
Represents clients in government contract matters
Represents professional licensees before licensing boards
Represents numerous healthcare providers, including continuing care and life care facilities, nursing homes, funeral homes, providers of mental health services, physicians, dentists and pharmacists, in operational matters and before regulatory agencies.
- National Hispanic Bar Association
- North Carolina Bar Association, Business Law Section
- North Carolina State Bar
- Director, Fayetteville-Cumberland County Chamber of Commerce 2011-2013
- Director, Cumberland County Bar Association 2011-2012
- Center for Economic Empowerment and Development, Volunteer Counsel, 2011
- City of Fayetteville Citizens Academy, 2010
- City of Fayetteville Fair Housing Board, Co-chair, 2007-2009
- Cumberland County Democratic Party, Volunteer Counsel, 2010-2011
- Fayetteville Young Professionals, 2010-2011
- Junior League of Fayetteville, Volunteer Counsel, 2003
Honors & Awards
- Fayetteville Observer’s “40 Under Forty,” 2011
- January 2016
- December 2015
- November 2015
- July 13, 2011